STRINGS IN THe SCHOOLS
Waiheʻe School Principal Paula Inouye and Vice Principal Kanani Au have been wonderfully supportive of giving their 4th grade students the opportunity to learn to play a string instrument. We are also grateful for the partnership of the Maui Chamber Orchestraʻs donation of $5,000 which helped us apply for a matching grant via Classics for Kids Foundation. Both of these organizations have made it possible for us to purchase 5 fraction sized cellos and 2 fractions sized double bases. CFKF also covered the shipping from the East Coast to Maui. We are so excited to work with the students at Waiheʻe School and are looking forward to reaching other elementary schools in the future. This program will be led by Mrs. Iolani Yamashiro-Rahimi.
I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN A CHILDʻS LIFE BY
DONATING THE FOLLOWING:
- Violins, viola, cellos, or basses that are currently not being used, (sitting in a closet for years) even if they are I need of repair. Please text 808-283-6723 or email email@example.com if you would like to donate an instrument. MYPO will provide a receipt.
- Folding music stands for the students to use at home while practicing. This will help each child to practice with the proper position.
- Financial donations toward new violins and violas for this program and/or for future
programs. Since this is a pilot program, we will be
looking to expand to other schools shortly. Donations
can be made here.
- Financial donations to make this program available to every interested student regardless of their socio-economic level.
- Violin/viola and cell/bass instructors for classes twice weekly (program will still go forward regardless of amount available)
- Music books and music sheet
- Printing costs
- Transportation after classes if necessary (hired school bus)
- Necessary accessories: shoulder rests, cello straps, extra strings, rosin, etc.
- Instrument repairs
- Space to keep instruments when not in use or in need of repair